K-12 Taco Bake
Meal Contribution: 3 ½ M/MA, 1 WGR, 1 VEG-BP
Serving Size: 1 Serving (3 Pieces)
Allergens: Contains Egg, Gluten, Milk, Soy, Wheat
- 3 pieces: Potato & American Cheese High Protein Pierogies w/ WG Dough – Mrs. T’s – 41164-00376
- 1/8 ounce: Taco Seasoning Mix
- ½ teaspoon: Water
- 1 ounce: Beef Patty Crumbles
- ¼ cup: Black Beans – Low Sodium
- 1 ounce: Salsa
- ½ ounce: Shredded Cheddar Cheese – Reduced Fat
- ¼ ounce: Corn Tortilla Chips
- ½ ounce: Fresh Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss pierogies with olive oil making sure to coat evenly. Arrange pierogies on full size sheet pan. Bake 15 minutes until golden brown and puffed.
**Alternate cooking method - Steam for 7-10 minutes in perforated hotel pan with liner.
- Blend taco seasoning and water according to taco seasoning directions. Add to beef crumbles.
- Heat beef crumbles in convection oven or steamer to 165°F. Spray full size hotel pan with nonstick spray. Spoon and spread seasoned beef crumbles to cover the bottom of the pan. Shingle pierogies over seasoned beef crumbles, creating a layering effect.
- Top pierogies with rinsed & drained black beans. Top pierogies & black beans with salsa.
- Top with shredded cheddar – leave uncovered. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes
- Remove casserole from oven, top with crushed tortilla chips. Leave uncovered and bake for 10 additional minutes to finish melting cheese and crisp tortilla chips.
- Chop fresh cilantro and sprinkle over casserole before serving.
Optional: Serve with additional side condiments, such as extra salsa & sour cream.
Vegetarian Option: Substitute beef crumbles with certified vegan beef substitute.
- Bake or steam pierogies prior to adding other ingredients.
- Do not overfill hotel pan to avoid pierogies from sticking together.